This week Google made another expansion in Google Analytics allowing additional goals to be created within a profile. This is a tremendous change because previously there were only 4 goals per profile, now you can set up to 20. Before this week, if you had 5 goals you wanted to measure, you had to setup two profiles, which caused a lot of switching between profiles and created somewhat of a nightmare in keeping the filtering all the same, etc.
So now that you have 20 goals to play with, what should you be measuring? Here’s my top 10 list of general purpose website goals to measure (in no particular order).
- Newsletter registration
- Contact Us form completion
- Quote request
- Online order submission (for Ecommerce)
- Long visits [time] (over X minutes)
- Long visits [pages] (over X pages per visit)
- Content Upload/Submission
- Printing a page (for PDFs or Printer-friendly HTML pages)
- Downloading a Coupon
- Visiting a target content page (product page, employee bio, etc.)
I’ve heard this feature is not rolled out to all accounts yet, so if you don’t see these expanded goals in your account today, keep checking and I’m sure they will appear in the next week or two.